Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Wednesday listening...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Man, I'm on a roll tonight. Someone must have secretly replaced my decaf with regular! [img]eek.gif[/img]

    Since I've been sounding off lately about groove and feel and all that, I wanted to share this clip with you....one of my "desert-island" tracks.

    It's from 1996. BB King on the Late Show with David Letterman doing "The Thrill is Gone" with the CBS Orchestra and a full string section.

    I think this might be just about the groovin-est thing I've ever heard. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those special once-in-a-blue-moon "magical" performances. The whole band is just so locked-in!!

    If you don't think Anton can swing his ass off and groove his ass off after listening to this, then I give up!!

    The hi-hat work.......it's like "buttahhhh."

    Hope you enjoy it...

    The Thrill Is Gone

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 20, 2004 11:04 PM: Message edited by: mja61 ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    I have AF's solo disc ["Figments"], bought from him at a meet n greet [he sells them at his clinics from what i hear also]. I like it. A lot.

    Lotta cool & name musicians on there. Not a bad deal for just 10 dead Washingtons.

    Not a lot of fireworks, just good, tasty accompaniment, attentive to the arrangements, musical, groovin' drumg. Know what i mean? [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Kinda like what drumg is actually supposed to be... [img]wink.gif[/img]

    ...sometimes... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 21, 2004 05:03 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by mja61:
    I picked up "Figments" at the last clinic. Right after I paid for it, I just happened to pass him at the "meet-and-greet" table. He saw it in my hand and said, "Hey thanks for buying a copy, I appreciate it. Can I sign that for you?.....Thanks for coming out. I hope you enjoy the disc."

    He's about the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. Talk about a guy with zero ego or attitude problem. Just like Gregg B and Mike Mangini, but even more laid back and down to earth.

    It's a pretty cool disc. I think "Inside Out" is my favorite tune on there. A lot of fun to play along with...almost like playing along with a Jeff P track.

    What I like about that disc is that it's a newer "musician-oriented" disc that not have a lot of chops and fireworks, but by no means leave us Vinnie-freaks bored or disappointed.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Word.
    Ditto.
    "I must concur." [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 22, 2004 01:57 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Coincidentally, "Inside Out" is also the title of one of my favorite CCEB tunes! (Just love that drum solo at the end!)

    Forgot to mention that John Popper from Blues Traveller sat in on harmonica on this version of "Thrill is Gone."

  5. #5
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by mja61:
    If you don't think he's got chops, you haven't been to one of his clinics!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not to take this out of context, but...WHO CARES! Seriously, musical drummers rule! My favorite right now is Shawn Pelton. Anton has chops used in a musical context. I must be getting old, but phrasing musically and tastefully is everything to me right now. I just listened to a solo off Eric Johnson's Live CD. That drummer smokes! Talk about stick control, musicality, and taste.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Klemme's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2003
    Posts
    854
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Man! Thanks for that!

    Anton Fig is just killing it!

    Or when did Anton Fig join the CBS Orchestra?

    Whoever is on the drums, it's such a pleasure listening to this, thanks alot!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anton replaced Jordan in the late 80's

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Glad you enjoyed it. Like I said earlier, I think this is a performance that could never be duplicated. Some of the most soulful drumming I've ever heard....Anton is just laying it out there as thick as he possibly can.

    Yeah, this is Anton on drums for sure. (I've got it on VHS, but no video capture card...yet! [img]wink.gif[/img] ) I recall him saying he joined in 1986. He said that he was filling in for Steve Jordan for two weeks, and then shortly thereafter, Jordan just cleared his gear out of the studio (made it sound like there might have been some disagreement or something).

    Anyway, Paul Shaffer calls up Anton and says, "Steve has removed his drums. We really liked the way you filled in. The gig is yours if you want it."

    Man, how cool must that have been for Anton!?!?

    I've seen Anton in clinic twice. He doesn't do many, but if you have the chance, go! You won't be disappointed. When you see him in clinic, you get to see him play some technical stuff that he doesn't get to use often on the Letterman show. If you don't think he's got chops, you haven't been to one of his clinics!!!

    I picked up "Figments" at the last clinic. Right after I paid for it, I just happened to pass him at the "meet-and-greet" table. He saw it in my hand and said, "Hey thanks for buying a copy, I appreciate it. Can I sign that for you?.....Thanks for coming out. I hope you enjoy the disc."

    He's about the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. Talk about a guy with zero ego or attitude problem. Just like Gregg B and Mike Mangini, but even more laid back and down to earth.

    It's a pretty cool disc. I think "Inside Out" is my favorite tune on there. A lot of fun to play along with...almost like playing along with a Jeff P track.

    What I like about that disc is that it's a newer "musician-oriented" disc that does not have a lot of chops and fireworks, but by no means leave us Vinnie-freaks bored or disappointed.

    EDIT - Inexcusable grammatical error on my part [img]redface.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 22, 2004 03:58 PM: Message edited by: mja61 ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think he was just saying that for the benefit of the "Chops Ho's" in here [are there any?!...naaahhhh...] [img]wink.gif[/img]
    ...chops used in a musical context...phrasing musically and tastefully is everything
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">THAT, of coure, is "true, true"...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 23, 2004 04:41 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think he was just saying that for the benefit of the "Chops Ho's" in here
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fuse...you're exactly right....and I could not have said it any better myself.....LOL [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •